Chole (Chickpea gravy ) is a signature dish served with Indian fried bread (bhature) in punjab, India. It is a popular vegetarian dish throughout Northern India.
- 250 gms white chick peas (kabuli chana)
- 1 tsp tamarind
- ½ tsp Rock salt (kaala namak)
- 1 pinch cooking soda
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 1tsp cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1 bay leaf (large)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 2 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes, finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic (lehsun) finely chopped
- 1 ” piece of ginger (adrak) finely chopped
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1 cup washed and finely chopped coriander leaves (dhania)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Wash chickpeas till water runs clear. Soak them in enough water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water. Cook in a pressure cooker with rock salt, cooking soda & tamarind for 25minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, chopped garlic-ginger and salt.
- Add the chopped onions & sauté them till translucent or light brown.
- Add the tomatoes. Sauté till the tomatoes soften and till the oil start to leave the sides.
- Add green chilies, turmeric powder, red chili powder & coriander powder. mix well.
- Add cooked chick peas to the masala (curry) prepared, Mix very well and simmer for 15-20 minutes or till the curry becomes thicker.
- Add garam masala powder, mango powder & lemon juice. Mix well. Cover with lid for 5 minutes.
- Mash a few chickpeas with the spoon to thicken the gravy or curry.
- Garnish with chopped coriander, lemon wedges and chopped onion.
- Serve hot with bhatura (fried Indian bread) & jeera rice.
*Garam masala is available at stores or can be prepared at home.
Click here for the Vaisakhi Special Dishes