This is a popular white rice dish from south India. Coconut and Curry leaves adds traditional South Indian taste to the rice. Sweet & Sour tomato chutney is awesome with it.
(1 Cup = 250 ml)
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1 tbsp Ghee (home-style clarified butter)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 whole dry red chilies
- 1 Cup Coconut (shredded)
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- 1 cup raw banana (optional)
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 tbsp peanuts/ cashew nuts
- ¼ Cup Onion
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Fresh Garlic ( chopped)
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- ¼ Cup Coriander leaves/ Cilantro (chopped)
- Prepare steam cooked Rice. Keep it aside in a plate. Do not cover it, let the steam release. Cold rice is awesome for frying.
- Heat ghee in a deep pan, add mustard seeds. let it sputter.
- Add dry red chili & peanuts/ cashew nuts, Sauté till color changes to light brown.
- Add garlic, curry leaves, green chilies, onion & salt. Sauté till raw aroma disappears.
- Add diced banana & coconut. Cover with lid & cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add Rice & lemon juice. Mix nicely. Cover with lid for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.