Falafel is a fried ball, doughnut or patty made from ground chickpeas, fava beans, or both. Falafel is a common food eaten throughout the Middle East. The fritters are now found around the world as a replacement for meat balls and in a form of street food.
It has many variations; this one is with Indian twist. We have varied it adding lentils and potato as core ingredients, making it suitable for baking and barbecue. You can serve it as appetizer or in pita topped with salad and sauces. This is the best appetizer for vegetarians on a barbecue evening.
(1 Cup= 240 ml)
- ½ Cup Split Bengal Gram (Chana dal)
- 1 Cup pigeon peas spilt(Toor dal)
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Medium Potato; Boiled and Mashed
- ½ Cup Semolina (Sooji/rava)
- ½ Cup Butter
- 2 tbsp shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp Parmesan
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Red Chili Powder/ Green Chili Paste
- 1 ½ tsp Cumin Powder (Jeera Powder)
- 1 ½ tsp Fennel Powder (Saunf Powder)
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Mango Powder
- Soak Split Bengal gram and pigeon peas spilt for 3 hours. Cook it for 15-20 minutes in a shallow pan adding 1 cup water. Stir occasionally.
*Do not add too much water. Cooked lentils should be dry and little bit moist enough to be shaped in any form.
- Let the lentils cool down to room temperature and mash it using a masher. Add boiled potatoes in the lentil mixture. Fold to combine properly.
- Add Semolina, Cheese, Butter, Ginger Paste and Garlic Paste. Mix properly.
- Add salt, Red chili Powder/ Green Chili Paste, Coriander powder, Cumin Powder, Fennel Powder, Black Pepper Powder, Onion Powder, Mango Powder and Garam masala. Mix evenly.
- Keep the dough aside for an hour. Knead it again before shaping.
- Divide the mixture into 25-30 parts; shape them to size of fritters or falafel.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the fritters on medium heat till golden brown. drain on an absorbent paper/ kitchen towel.
*To Barbecue; preheat a grill to high. Thread the mixture onto skewers. Grill the kebabs, turning, until the ingredients are charred and cooked to desired level, 10 minutes approx.
*To Air fry; preheat the Air fryer at high. Spray oil on both the sides of falafel, arrange them in the Air Fryer tray and air fry them for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with freshly sliced onions and sauce of your choice. Enjoy!