Peda is a sweet from the Indian subcontinent, usually prepared in thick, semi-soft pieces. The main ingredients are khoa, Sugar and traditional flavorings. Since khoa is not always available in every region, we will make it using milk powder and cream.
- 2 Cups Milk powder
- 1 Cup Heavy cream
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ½ Tsp Cardamom Powder
- Few Strands of Saffron ; Soaked in 1 tbsp Milk
- Saffron strands ; To Garnish
- 5-6 Pistachios; Sliced
- Heat a thick bottomed pan. Pour cream and milk powder. Mix well with a wooden spatula.
- Cook on low heat for 30-40 minutes stirring continuously till mixture starts getting soft like dough.
- As the mixture reaches dough like consistency, add cardamom powder and Saffron milk. Mix nicely.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Now add sugar to the mixture and knead it for 2-3 minutes to blend the contents properly.
*Do not add Sugar when the mixture is hot, it disturbs the consistency of mixture and makes too hard/too soft pedas.
- Divide the mixture into 20-25 parts and shape them like small thick discs.
- Garnish them with Saffron Strands and Pistachios. Serve!
Click here for Ganesh Chaturthi 2017 Recipes