Fried Modak recipe : A traditional Maharashtrian sweet dish offered to lord Ganesha on the occasion of Ganesh chaturthi festival.
(1 cup = 250 ml)
For Modak Covering:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup refined flour (maida)
- ½ cup semolina (sooji / rava)
- Milk to knead the dough (as required)
- 2 tbsp warm clarified butter (ghee) or oil
- salt 1 tsp
For Modak Stuffing:
- 2 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) or oil
- 1 tsp white sesame seed (safed til)
- 1 tsp poppy seed (khus khus)
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
- ½ cup powdered or grated jaggery
- 2 pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 t/s cardamom powder
- ½ Cup Dry Fruits (Cashews & Almonds)
- Milk or Water ( Stuffing should be little bit moist)
- Mix the ingredients mentioned for the outer covering to make a soft dough.
- At the end add warm ghee or oil to grease the dough.
- Allow the dough to rest for 15-20 mins.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan add ghee to it.
- Place on low heat and saute khus khus seed (poppy seed) and safed til (sesame seed).
- Add freshly grated coconut.
- Add powdered jaggery. Mix nicely.
- Keep stirring the mixture for 2-3 mins. Jaggery would melt with a pleasant aroma. Don’t overcook the mixture else the jaggery might harden.
- Lastly add cardamom and nutmeg powder. Mix nicely. Switch off the gas don’t overcook the mixture. Allow the mixture to cool down.
Shaping the Modak
- Make marble sized balls from the dough.
- Dust some flour and roll them into thin round discs.( Thin edges and little bit thick center)
- Place some filling in the center.
- pinch the edges one by one. Bring together all the pinched folds in the center to make modak shape, seal the edges properly applying water on inner edges before folding.
- Deep fry or shallow fry the modak until golden brown or cooked from all sides.
- Place them on absorbent napkin to absorb excess oil.
For a healthier version, You can cook modak in air fryer. Put them in the air fryer and cook at 180 degree C for 10mins. That will be more like baked modaks.
- Serve the modak warm.
Click here for Ganesh Chaturthi 2017 Recipes