Paan is a preparation combining betel leaves with areca nut and some sweetened jellies, served in South Asia. It is usually offered after meals for good digestion. So, it’s amazing and very logical to enjoy taste of paan of in form of a dessert.
This recipe is shared by an experienced home cook Ms. Virendra Kaur, who lives in Lucknow, India. She received various awards of appreciation for her delicious dishes.
She Says” Cooking is my passion and I got ‘Annapurna Award’ by Lucknow Chef group and excellence award by Taste of Awadh group. I also won radio Mirchi presented ‘Ashirwad Aata’ Contest for my recipe. I won 2nd prize in cooking competition held by Ansh welfare foundation talent utsav 2017”
Let’s appreciate her Innovation and Enjoy this refreshing dessert.
- ½ liter / 2 ½ + ¼ Cups Milk (Divided)
- 1/3 Cup Soaked white Rice
- 1 Cup Water
- Sugar to taste
- ¾ Cup Khoa
- ¾ Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/3 Cup Cashew nuts
- 2 pinch Cardamom (Ground)
- 1 ½ tbsp Gulkand
- 2-3 betel leaves (Paan)
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Wash n clean the betel leaves. Remove the veins and tear into small pieces. Grind with ¼ Cup Milk and keep aside (we don’t want a fine paste).
- Wash n soak the rice for 1-2 hours. Strain to remove excess water.
- Heat Ghee in a pressure cooker. Add the soaked rice and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/3 Cup water, half of the milk (250 ml), Sugar and cashew nuts in the cooker.
- Close the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles. Remove from flame and Open the lid as soon as the steam escapes.
- Use a heavy spoon to whisk the ingredients and try to break down the rice grains.
- Add the remaining Milk (250 ml) to the pressure cooker along with ¼ Cup water.
- Close lid and cook for another 2-3 whistles. Remove from flame and allow steam to escape.
- Open the lid and put it back on the flame.
- Add the crumbled khoa , Condensed Milk and Cardamom.
- Stir continuously till the khoa dissolves and mixture becomes thick.
- Switch off the flame stir in Gulkand. Mix well.
- Add the betel leaf mixture in parts, building up the flavor till u get it right.
- Refrigerate it for 2-3 hours. Serve and Enjoy!