Punjabi Rajma is a popular North Indian dish which is prepared with Red Kidney beans and Onion- Tomato paste. It is usually served with boiled white rice and it is a traditional festival dish. Some people prefer eating food cooked without onion and garlic. This recipe can help them, as adding onion and garlic is optional but it’s a promise it will taste delicious. Give it a try.
- 1 Cup Kidney beans (Rajma); Soaked overnight
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Fresh Ginger Paste
- 1 tbsp Green Chili paste
- 1 small Onion; Chopped (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Fresh Garlic Paste (Optional)
- 3 large Tomatoes; finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chili Powder (Optional)
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream
- Fresh Coriander; Chopped (To Garnish)
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked Rajma along with 4 cups water and salt.
- Switch off the flame after 3 whistles.
- Heat Oil in a pan, add Cumin seeds and Mustard seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add Asafoetida , Garlic paste, Ginger paste (Optional), Onion (Optional), and a pinch of salt. Fry till raw aroma disappears and mixture turns golden brown.
*If you are not adding Onion and Garlic, sauté mixture for a minute only.
- Add Tomatoes, mix and cover cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally.
*when tomato is cooked, you will see oil on edges of the pan surrounding the mixture.
- Add Coriander powder, Salt, Red chili powder and Turmeric powder. Stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked Rajma. Mix well and cover cook it for 10-15 minutes on medium heat.
- Add Garam masala and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Switch off the heat. keep it covered for 5 minutes.
- Top the curry with heavy cream. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Rice and Enjoy!