Koftas are deep fried/ shallow fried balls which can be made from minced meat, vegetables, Paneer or Tofu. Dry Koftas are usually served as an appetizer with sauce. It can also be served as a main course dish in form of curry.
INGREDIENTS (1 Cup= 250 ml)
For Kofta (Dumplings)
- ½ Cup grated radish
- ½ Cup Moong Dal (Split green gram)
- ½ Cup grated carrot
- ½ Cup grated cabbage
- Green Chillies / Red chilli powder
- 1 Cup Besan (Bengal Gram flour)
- Bread-2 slices
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Chat Masala
- ½ Cup Sooji (Semolina)
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro)
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil.
- 1 tsp Jeera (Cumin seeds)
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
- Salt to salt
- 1 tsp Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- 2 tsp Dry Coriander powder
- 2 tsp Dry Mango powder
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup tomato puree
- 1tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 3 Chopped Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Curd
- Coriander leaves- finely chopped
For Kofta (Dumplings)
- Soak Moong dal for 4-5 hours. Cook it. Don’t add too much water. It should be in a paste form.
- In a Mixing bowl take grated Radish, Carrot, Cabbage and discard excess juice released from it.
- Add Green Chillies / Red chilli powder, Coriander leaves, Moong dal, Salt, Garam Masala & Chat Masala to the mixture. Mix it properly.
- Add Besan (Bengal Gram flour) to the mixture.
Don’t add too much flour, it may harden dumplings. Quantity of flour to be added also depends on amount of juice remained in veggies.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions and shape them into balls (kofta). Coat it with dry semolina.
- Heat sufficient oil in a deep pan. Slide each kofta into hot oil and deep fry till golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
We can shallow fry the kofta easily by shaping it like patties.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Add Mustard seeds, allow it to crackle.
- Add Cinnamon stick, green Chillies, Chopped Onion, Asafoetida, Ginger-Garlic paste. Saute till raw aroma of garlic disappears & onion turns golden.
- Add tomato puree.
To puree tomato, Grill tomatoes in oven for 5 mins. Peel out the skin. Allow it to cool. Blend the peeled tomato.
- Add Salt, Turmeric powder, Coriander powder, Mango powder, sugar & beaten curd.
- Stir and continue to fry the paste till it starts leaving oil from the sides.
- Now add prepared koftas in the curry.
- Switch off the stove and let them be in the curry for a few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve kofta curry hot with Indian bread or steamed Rice.