Vegetable Manchurian is a popular Indo Chinese recipe which serves as a great side dish with Noodles and Chinese fried rice. It is a delicious combination of fried veggie balls and yummy Chinese sauce. Let’s serve Goodness of vegetables with taste buds tickling flavors in a bowl.
(1 Cup= 240 ml)
For the Manchurian balls
- ½ Cup shredded cabbage
- ½ Cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1 Cup shredded Carrot
- 3-4 chopped Spring Onions
- 1-2 Finely chopped Green Chilies
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp All purpose flour (Maida)
- 2 tbsp Corn flour
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp grated Ginger
- 5-6 chopped Garlic Cloves
- 2-3 slit Green Chilies
- ½ Cup Tomato puree
- 1 Cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Chopped Onions
- 1tbsp finely chopped celery
- 1 tsp Black Pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp Honey
- ¼ Cup Soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp Corn flour
- ½ cup water
- 2 chopped spring onion(Greens only)
For the Manchurian balls
- Mix Cabbage, Carrot, Bell Pepper and Spring Onions in a bowl. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Preserve extra juices released by Veggies in separate Cup.
- Now add Salt, Green chilies, Pepper, All purpose flour and Corn flour.
- Divide the mixture into 8-10 parts. Shape them into round balls.
- Deep fry the Manchurian balls on medium heat till it becomes golden brown.
- Drain excess oil and keep Manchurian balls on tissue paper.
*Do not fry Manchurian balls on high heat; it will leave them uncooked from centre.
For the Sauce
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add Ginger and Garlic. Sauté till raw aroma of Garlic disappears.
- Add Tomato puree, Vegetable stock and preserved vegetable juice. Cover cook for 5-10 minutes. Keep aside.
*We can add bottled Tomato sauce but homemade sauce is always a better option.
- Heat oil in another pan, Add Onions, Green chilies and Celery. Sauté on high heat.
- Add prepared sauce of Tomato puree. Mix well.
- Add Honey and Soya sauce. Cook of low heat for 5 minutes.
- Dissolve corn flour in ½ cup water. Pour it into the pan stirring continuously to avoid formation of lumps. Cover cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Vinegar, Salt, Black pepper powder and Manchurian balls. Stir and cover cook for a minute.
- Garnish with Greens of Spring onion. Serve hot with Chinese fried Rice or Noodles.
*In restaurant style vegetable Manchurian, ajinomoto is added. We will not add MSG (mono sodium glutamate) because it is not good for health.